[MITgcm-support] speedup for cs64 on a linux cluster

Maura BRUNETTI Maura.Brunetti at unige.ch
Tue May 22 09:47:58 EDT 2012

Dear MITgcm users,

I am studying scaling properties of ocean-only configurations on a linux cluster.
The results shown in the attached figure are obtained with a cubed sphere configuration with 64x64 face resolution and 15 vertical levels (points in the figure correspond to: 6 tiles 64x64 on 1 proc, 1 tile 64x64 on 6 procs, 1 tile 32x64 on 12 procs, 1 tile 32x32 on 24 procs and 1 tile 16x32 on 48 procs). Only packages GMredi and tave are activated at run time.

The scaling is not very good, starting already at 12 procs (see blue line). I have not found in the literature other scaling analysis, could you please suggest where I can find them? From my analysis, I have seen that it is not worth doing runs with tile dimension smaller than 32 grid points. Is it correct?

Thanks,

Maura

--
Dr. Maura Brunetti
Institute for Environmental Sciences (ISE)