[MITgcm-support] caledar package

Martha W Buckley marthab at MIT.EDU
Fri May 18 12:34:49 EDT 2012

I've found some strange behavior of the calendar when real months are output.
I want to output both time average diagnostics and snapshots monthly.

For the time average diagnostics, the real calender months works fine (except
for the first output is at 30.5 days rather than as it should be at 31 so all
the outputs are shifted from what they should be by 12 hours: ie output #2 is
at (30.5+29)*24=1428 (since my first year happens to be a leap year) while it
should be at (31+29)=1440).

However, when snapshots are output, the real calender months do not seem to be
used, which means that the snapshots aren't the right ones for calculating
tendencies.  Even more strangely, the snapshots are centered at the middle of
the month-- first one is at 366=15.25*24, second is at 1098=(15.25+30.5)*24,
etc.  I'd have expected them to be output at the beginning and end of the
month.

thanks,
Martha