[MITgcm-support] MITgcm within a small lagoon

Menemenlis, Dimitris (3248) Dimitris.Menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jul 3 07:07:12 EDT 2012

Hi Massimo, again I hope that other folks that are better able to answer your questions and with specific references will pitch in.

I have no experience with the modeling of lagoons, but the dimensions of your domain should not be an issue.
With colleagues at University of California, Irvine, and at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, we are using the MITgcm to model flow in an aquarium that's 30 x 60 cm in dimensions.
We are also starting to experiment with tidal forcing of a small regional domain.
And we are certainly not the first to use MITgcm for this kind of applications.
So please continue to work with MITgcm and do send questions about any specific problems you may have with MITgcm to this list, and hopefully someone will be able to help you resolve your problem and move forward with your research.

Best regards

Dimitris Menemenlis