[MITgcm-support] MITgcm within a small lagoon

massimo novello massimonovello at yahoo.com.br
Tue Jul 3 06:26:04 EDT 2012

I´m developing the MITgcm in Brazil within Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas, a small Rio de Janeiro lagoon (2km^2 area and 5m maximum depth).

Following Dimitris Menemenlis advice, I used exp4 as a start point, and changed the bathymetry, forcing and initial conditions files. At the moment I´m using only wind forcing.

For curiosity I searched for some previous implementations of MITgcm in small areas and for my surprise I didn´t find anything. Does anyone knows about previous similar studies or if MITgcm is not very useful for this kind of implementation?

Thanks for any advice,

Massimo Emilio Novello
UERJ - Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro