[MITgcm-support] Re : Query regarding "exf package".

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Jan 13 09:59:23 EST 2012

Hi Himansu,

I think I found the problem: the exf-package had the wrong CPP-flags. You only want to force your model with windstress, but you had  ALLOW_ATM_TEMP and ALLOW_DOWNWARD_RADIATION defined. With these flags, the model expects other atmospheric forcing fields (air temperature, humidity, downwelling radiation, etc.) to compute heat and freshwater fluxes from bulkformulae. Since you don't give it any values it assumes atemp=0 (in Kelvin!), aqh=0, etc. giving you weird heat fluxes. You set useExfCheckRange=.FALSE., so that the erroneous heat fluxes were not caught by the model.
When you unset the above flags in EXF_OPTIONS.h you get the same results in both of your experiments.
#
I only ran the model for 8640 timesteps, but I can further confirm that
1. the windstress is read in properly
2. the windstress is not exactly the same between the runs: it appears to be masked along the boundaries in one case (the exf-case) but not in the other one, but that should not be a problem, as the masked values are over (u,v)-land points anyway.

It may also help to create initial conditions (via extraploation) that have non-zero value in your entire domain (and remove the  checkIniTemp=.false., checkIniSalt=.false., flags that mask this problem). I am getting this with your configuration:
** WARNINGS ** INI_THETA: found        32 wet grid-pts with theta=0 identically.
** WARNINGS ** INI_SALT: found      3999 wet grid-pts with salt=0 identically.
That's probably not very good, because it lead to strong adjustment processes during the spin-up.

I also noticed that you make your model very viscous. I recommend using a better advection scheme, e.g. 33 ( with staggerTimeStep=.true.) and reducing or even removing the horizontal diffusivity. The horizontal viscosity is also very high. Try viscAhGrid = 0.1, (see the documentation for more details on advection schemes and setting the viscosity).

Martin