[MITgcm-support] cartesian grid

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Aug 6 08:00:00 EDT 2012

Himansu,

the model really only knows two horizontal direction: the i-direction and the j-direction. (for curvilinear grids you can give it the actual coordinates etc, but that's even more complictated than what you need). So you have to give the model the wind in the i-direction ("taux"=zonalWindFile, ) and the j-direction ("tauy"=meridWindFile,), the naming is admittedly a little unfortunate.
I mean that you have to rotate your wind vector (I asume with east-west and north-south components) according the orientation of the your grid.

vectorOnGrid = RotationMatrix*vectorOnLatLon, which rotationMatrix = (cos(phi) sin(phi); -sin(phi) cos(phi)). where phi the angle between north and your grid north. Don't nail me down on indices and direction of rotation (you can look that up in any linear algebra book) ...

Martin