[MITgcm-support] Question about pressure

mdunphy at uwaterloo.ca mdunphy at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Apr 11 15:07:14 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm working on an energy budget for MITgcm and am finding a somewhat
large residual in kinetic energy. Time stepping is Adams-Bashforth-3,
surface is rigid lid, EOS is linear. The kinetic energy residual
converges *linearly* with time-step. I was expecting it to converge
better than first order due to use of AB3.

In looking through the manual, the section on pressure method for
rigid-lid mentions:

> The particular location in time of the pressure field is somewhat
> ambiguous; in Fig. 2.1 we depicted as co-located with the future
> flow field (time level n + 1) but it could equally have been drawn
> as staggered in time with the flow.

If pressure is offset from velocity in time, that could explain the
linear convergence of the kinetic energy (due to the u*p' energy flux
term).

I reproduced the calls to CALC_PHI_HYD at the end of the time step,
but it produced the same values of totPhihyd as were computed earlier
in the time step in dynamics.F.

Is there a way to get pressure that does not have an ambiguous time?

Cheers,
Michael