[MITgcm-support] phihydlow without topography signal

Katherine Quinn kquinn at aer.com
Thu Sep 15 16:49:46 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a bottom pressure anomaly within the MITgcm code
instead doing the usual remove the time mean from phihydlow after
running an experiment.  The bottom pressure anomaly I need shouldn't
have any topography signal in it.  The phihydlow values have a range of
approximately -1000 to 1000 and have a clear topography signal.

As I understand it from past email list messages and the code, phihydlow
should be the hydrostatic potential anomaly at the depths in R_low.
Given this, I would have expected the time mean of phihydlow to be a
linear function of R_low.  When you do the linear fit it's approximately
-0.4*(R_low - spatialmean(R_low)).  But the fit to R_low is actually
more like a quadratic.  Does anyone know what I need to remove from
phihydlow to get a true bottom pressure anomaly with no topography signal?

thanks, Katy

--
Katherine J. Quinn
Atmospheric and Environmental Research, Inc.   voice: 781-761-2234
Lexington, MA  02421-3126                     e-mail: kquinn at aer.com