[MITgcm-support] Excess cooling at the surface layers

himansu pradhan oceancalling at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 07:51:24 EDT 2011

Dear MITgcm users,

I have run my MODEL,( configured for the Bay of Bengal ) for 15days which
results in a "normal end".

The input files are : a) 15 level Temperature and Salinity files b)
Bathymetry file c) Wind stress files. I have used a Rectangular domain with
z- cordinate. The Eastern, Northern and Southern bounderies of the domain
are OPEN with Orlanski radiation boundary conditions.

After a normal end, the results of
1) Velocity files have a reasonable magnitude and the circulation is
satisfactory ( velocity_OUTPUT_15thday.jpg)...... this is OK.....

2) but, ??????  the sea surface temperature (OUTPUT_temp_15thday.jpg) after
15 day model integration drops almost by  4-7 degrees   from the initial
surface temp (input file:- initial_temp.jpg)
The drop of temperature is almost everywhere in the region .

Also, at the eastern and southern open boundaries the temperature contours
seems to be squeezed at some regions as seen in the figure......... i am
unable to figure out what is happening here.........???????

OUTPUT_vertical_temp_profile.jpg : - shows depth-time graph of temperature
(at one arbitrary point in my region)...... It is seen that the contours
shoots up unreasonably ............??????

Do kindly help with any suggestions, hints, clues.................

My data files , input plot of temperature and salinity and output velocity,
temperature files are attached in this mail.

Thanking You in advance

Himansu Pradhan
Research Scholar, IIT Delhi
India.