[MITgcm-support] curvilinear grid

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Oct 21 07:35:53 EDT 2011

Hi Madhu,

haven't looked at your files yet, but what you see means that the model is "blowing up" (I think that "SOLUTION IS HEADING OUT OF BOUNDS" is pretty clear, isn't it?).

Usually this happens when your time step / viscosity values violate certain stability criteria. In the monitor output there is an "adv_uvel_max" (and vvel, wvel) that checks the classic CFL criterion, but there are also others, please read the documentation to find out about numerical stability in general, e.g. here
<http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node120.html> (this is one of the tuturial examples that does not necessary apply to your experiment, there are some criteria listed).

Modify your time steps and viscosity parameters to get a stable model.
Also have a look at the verification/internal_wave example for using the Crank-Nickolson time stepping scheme, which might be interesting for internal wave studies (see also <http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node41.html>).

About the grid parameters:
For a first guess you should be fine with your hack, but I strongly recommend that you generate  more accurate values, as all of the conservation properties of the model rely on these grid parameters. Have a look at ini_cartesian_grid.F or ini_spherical_grid.F to see how this is done in a simpler case. You should be able to get satifactory results by appropriately averaging the availalbe parameters.

Martin