[MITgcm-support] How to add a u speed using OBCS package inside the domain

Lequan Chi lequanchi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 21:45:26 EST 2011

Dear all,
        I want to add a u/v boundary conditions inside the domain to drive the 2D model, Like “location.jpg”. And I set the grid near the boundary ( between AB and CD in location.jpg)  large width, so the reflection won’t disturb the area I care about.
        To running all of this, I use the  data.obcs as follows in an ideal experiment. But the result is confusing, u is up to 10^29 at step 13, and T gets an unbelievable value at step 11 &12. All input files can be found in “ideal exp.rar”and the result figures can be found in “T.rar” and “U.rar”,original result fils is here , https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=cf194e932602af7e&resid=CF194E932602AF7E!861. What’s wrong with the model input ? How can I correct it or this method is unreachable?

thanks a lot,

Lequan Chi,

# Open-boundaries
&OBCS_PARM01
  OB_Ieast(1)=3084,
  OB_Iwest(1)=101,
  useOrlanskiEast=.TRUE.,
  useOrlanskiWest=.TRUE.,
  useOBCSprescribe = .TRUE.,
     OBWuFile = 'OBWu.bin',
     OBEuFile = 'OBEu.bin',
#     OBWvFile = 'OBWv.bin',
#     OBEvFile = 'OBEv.bin',
#OBEuFile='Ubound.init',
&

# Orlanski parameters
&OBCS_PARM02
Cmax=0.45,
# cVelTimeScale=44640.,
# CFIX=1.,
# useFixedCEast=.TRUE.,
# useFixedCWest=.TRUE.,
&

by the way, there are totally 3184 girds along x-axis.