[MITgcm-support] very large velocity near the land boundary

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Nov 21 03:05:39 EST 2011

Hi,

I suggest that you turn on some kind of boundary friction:

 no_slip_sides=.FALSE., ( maybe this one = .true., too)
 no_slip_bottom=.TRUE.,
 bottomDragQuadratic = some positive number, e.g. 0.0025 or whatever you think is appropriate for tidal modelling.

to dissipate the energy in shallow water.

BTW:
why do you have:
inexact equations?
>  metricTerms=.FALSE.,
No rotation?
>  omega=0.,
you can set hFacMin to probbably 0.1 to 0.3
For tidal simulations I would recommend a different time stepping scheme that does not damp fast tidal waves, see the "internal_wave" example ( implicSurfPress=0.5, implicDiv2DFlow=0.5,) and the documentation: <http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node41.html>
(In general, there is a lot to find in the documentation!)

Martin