[MITgcm-support] 2d pressure solver bdy condition

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at ucsd.edu
Thu May 12 12:38:18 EDT 2011

Hi Aurelien,

Yes, I  believe that the bc on the obc for eta is eta = div u where
div u is only from tangential velocity -- normal velocity is made
divergenceless.  Though what might happen on the obc is that
tangential velocity divergence is overwritten and eta is then set to
zero -- don't remember exactly.  You can check in, I think,
solve_for_pressure.   However, through some niceties of the c-grid I
don't think any of this really comes into play in the dynamics
though.....at least, when sponge layers are off it doesn't really come
into play

Anyway, after a talk with JMC about a similar issue, I feel that the
way to solve your issue is to not use obcs sponge layers, but instead
apply sponges with rbcs.  Thus obcs will prescribe the obcs you want,
and rbcs will restore to the smooth solution you want.....

Im at SIO if you wanna talk today

-Matt