[MITgcm-support] what's the difference between U, V, W, salt in data.diagnostic and the output result

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Mar 25 04:34:17 EDT 2011

Chunyan,

the diagnostics package already has a long list of predefined diagnostics. With each run of the model you'll get this list (taylored to the specific configuration) in "available_diagnostics.log". I'd check with this file before implementing anything new. For example (from this file):
   142 |UBotDrag| 50 |   143 |UUR     MR|m/s^2           |U momentum tendency from Bottom Drag
   143 |VBotDrag| 50 |   142 |VVR     MR|m/s^2           |V momentum tendency from Bottom Drag
That might already do what you want.
If you cannot find a diagnostic, you can define your own by using one of the S/UDIAGS (at the beginning of the file). E.g. add 'SDIAG9 ' and 'SDIAG10' (because they are defined at U/V points) to the list of diagnostics and then "fill" then at the appropriate place in the code by calling diagnostics_fill (see also <http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node266.html>)
You can also define new names by editing diagnostics_main_init , just copy a similar block, eg. for oceTAUX/Y and edit. You do not need to edit diagnostics_addtolist.F (There is no more diagnostics_add2list and the documentation is a little out of date)

M.