[MITgcm-support] How to simulate the geostrophic current?

Klymak Jody jklymak at uvic.ca
Sun Mar 20 01:22:07 EDT 2011

Hi Paul,

Are you sure you specified the correct velocity?  Remember that if eta =0 then u=0 at the surface as well.

Beyond that, the model *will* spin down if there are no energy sources.  Do you have free-slip or no-slip bottom boundary layers?  If no-slip, it will definitely spin down and, depending on your domain size, quite quickly.  Try running with as little mixing or viscosity as possible, and geostrophic balance should be maintained for quite a while.

Cheers,   Jody