[MITgcm-support] Shapiro filter configuration

Yuan Lian lian at ashimaresearch.com
Mon Jun 27 08:38:16 EDT 2011

Hi Jean-Michel,

Yes, I know the power "n" is for tuning the strength of Shaipro
filter, but only noticed later Shapiro filter will be turned off is
"nShapT=0"
for temperature (same for u and v) as Shapiro filter only applies when
"nShapT>0".

I am using C18 generated from matlab script. I need some quick test
so I didn't bump up the resolution to C32. It is quite interesting to
see the corner effects are gone if I turn off Shapiro filters for u and v.
I think this has something to do with the radiative heating. Unlike
the Earth, Titan receives very weak solar heating. Both temperature and
winds change very slowly. I think Shapiro filter actually
induces larger U and V near corners than what generates it (typically
the equator to pole temperature contrast is merely a few kelvin on Titan).

Here is my configuration file data.shap that doesn't give any sort of
corner problems. However, if I change nShapUV=4 then I got strong corner
effects which eventually crash the simulation.

&SHAP_PARM01
  shap_filt_uvStar=.FALSE.,
  shap_filt_TrStagg=.TRUE.,
  Shap_funct=2,