[MITgcm-support] Shapiro filter configuration

Yuan Lian lian at ashimaresearch.com
Sun Jun 26 00:34:16 EDT 2011

OK, Just figured out nShapT=0 will turn off Shapiro filter for active
tracers.
nShapT=1 is an extremely bad option, which smooths out almost everything.

In atmosperhic modeling with cube-sphere grid, I noticed strong corner
effect
occurs if Shapiro filter is stronger, say nShapUV=2 causes much larger
pressure
anomaly around corners than nShapUV=4. Setting nShapUV=0 actually totally
removes the corner effects. Is there any reason why this happens? Isn't
Shapiro
filter supposed to smooth the wind vectors (so the vertical winds I
assume) than
exaggerating them?

Thanks!

Yuan