[MITgcm-support] diagnostics : ADVr_TH,DFrE_TH and WVELTH

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Jun 23 04:03:25 EDT 2011

Hi,
ADVr_TH is the advective flux through the surface of the ocean. I guess it's clear that you cannot advect a property through the sea surface (the same is true for the diffusive flux DFrE_TH). Depending on your parameters the vertical velocity is W = dEta/dt, which is non-zero in the non-stationary case. As a consequence W*THETA is non-zero, which also makes sense as you transport temperature vertically with W, but you do not flux temperature throught the surface.

see DIAGNOSTICS_MAIN_INIT (or documentation?) for explanation of the different identifiers (LR, etc)

M.