[MITgcm-support] diagnostics : ADVr_TH,DFrE_TH and WVELTH

Krishnakumar Rajagopalan krishna_raj_2010 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 17:10:39 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I am reading the diagnostics ADVr_TH, DFrE_TH and WVELTH  from *.data, *.meta files in tutorial tutorial_global_oce_latlon with DELR setting and GMREDI scheme.  All the 3 diagnostics are [WM        LR].  I think M in [WM      LR] means these diagnostics are at center of the cell (thus center of the layer).  What does L and R mean?

I would like to calculate the advective and diffusive flux of pot. temp from the first layer. I am finding that ADVr_Th and DFrE_Th are always zero in the first layer. But WVELTH in the first layer takes non zero values. Why is  ADVr_TH  zero since it is a product of WVELTH and area.

Thanks in advance

Krishnakumar