[MITgcm-support] double periodic problem

Michael A. Spall mspall at whoi.edu
Fri Jun 10 12:34:21 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I am trying to run an initial value problem in a doubly periodic domain.
I provide initial temperature, velocity, and ssh fields that are in
geostrophic balance.  Most of the fields evolve very little integrating
forward in time, as expected, but the tangential velocity near the
boundaries, if it is nonzero, is reduced.  The model feels the influence
of the domain even though I have provided a uniform, flat bottom
topography (no walls).

I've attached two plots of a meridional slice for velocity, temperature,
ssh for the initial conditions (day0.ps) and after 1 day of integration
(day1.ps).  Most of the velocity field remains nearly steady except for
the zonal velocity near j=1 and j=100.  ssh and temperature do not change
significantly.

I've also attached the data file and the SIZE.h.  I have tried with no
viscosity, no momentum advection, vectorInvariantMomentum=.TRUE.
with the same result.  Ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Michael A. Spall