[MITgcm-support] Minimal computational requirements to run MITgcm

luis.aimola at vale.com luis.aimola at vale.com
Wed Jul 20 18:47:10 EDT 2011

Ryan:

I´m very grateful for your answer.
You gave a very good perspective to begin my work and make plans for
future experiments.
Thank you very much.
All the best for you.

Luis Aímola, PhD
Pesquisador Associado/Associate Researcher
Grupo de Mudanças Climáticas/Climate Change Group

Instituto Tecnológico Vale - Desenvolvimento Sustentável
Vale Technological Institute - Sustainable Development

Travessa Dr. Moraes, nº 78, 3º andar (Nazaré)
66035-080 Belém, Pará, Brasil
Telefone: +5591-32152405 Fax: +5591-32152492

Ryan Abernathey <rpa at MIT.EDU>
20/07/2011 19:16
Favor responder a
<mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org>

Para
<mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org>
cc

Assunto
Re: [MITgcm-support] Minimal computational requirements to run  MITgcm

Luis,

I don't know if anyone has gotten back to you about this... Here is a
response from my limited knowledge.

MITgcm is a very flexible model. It can run on almost any hardware. Some
users run it on the most powerful supercomputers in the world using
thousands of nodes, and generating terabytes of data. On the other side, I
would not be surprised if someone has it running on their mobile phone.
You can find a de-facto list of the supported platforms in the
tools/build_options/ folder.

There are no "minimal requirements" in general. The requirements are
determined by the scale of your problem. The speed of execution will
depend on your hardware. For long, complex, high-resolution simulations,
the only efficient way to run the model is in a parallel environment such
as on a cluster using MPI.

A good way to get started is to compile some of the basic tutorials on
your personal computer to get a feel for how it works and how fast it
runs.

Hope this helps,

Ryan