[MITgcm-support] Minimal computational requirements to run MITgcm

Ryan Abernathey rpa at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 20 18:16:40 EDT 2011

Luis,

I don't know if anyone has gotten back to you about this... Here is a
response from my limited knowledge.

MITgcm is a very flexible model. It can run on almost any hardware.
Some users run it on the most powerful supercomputers in the world
using thousands of nodes, and generating terabytes of data. On the
other side, I would not be surprised if someone has it running on
their mobile phone. You can find a de-facto list of the supported
platforms in the tools/build_options/ folder.

There are no "minimal requirements" in general. The requirements are
determined by the scale of your problem. The speed of execution will
depend on your hardware. For long, complex, high-resolution
simulations, the only efficient way to run the model is in a parallel
environment such as on a cluster using MPI.

A good way to get started is to compile some of the basic tutorials on
your personal computer to get a feel for how it works and how fast it
runs.

Hope this helps,

Ryan