[MITgcm-support] Question about ploadfile

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Feb 28 03:39:26 EST 2011

Hi Lian,

the oceanic pressure coordinates are tricky. Please read the corresponding tutorial carefully. Especially here <http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node135.html> you'll find eq. 3.62 which explains the role of the "ploadfile" (\phi'_{-H}^{(0)}). It describes the deviation of the actual pressure field from g*rho0*z at the beginning of the integration. The deviation is caused by your initial vertical profiles of T and S. If you do not specify this \phi'_{-H}^{(0)}, or use a value that does not correspond to your initial T and S, these contributions will end up in p_b, which is OK but will require VERY small time steps during the adjustment process.

Martin