[MITgcm-support] query regarding "exf" package

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Dec 19 03:48:02 EST 2011

Himansu,

On Dec 17, 2011, at 2:39 PM, himansu pradhan wrote:

> Hi MITgcm users,
>
> I have been trying to use "exf" package. For this i have set :
>
>  exf                                  <---- included in "packages.conf"
>  useEXF=.TRUE.,          <---- in "data.pkg"
>
> and my "data.exf" looks like :
>
> #
> # *********************
> # External Forcing Data
> # *********************
>  &EXF_NML_01
>  exf_iprec         = 64,
>  &
>
> # *********************
>  &EXF_NML_02
>
>  ustressstartdate1=20110101,
>  ustressstartdate2=000000,
>  ustressperiod=21600.0,
> #
>  vstressstartdate1=20110101,
>  vstressstartdate2=000000,
>  vstressperiod=21600.0,                   <------- for a period of 6hours.
> #
>  ustressfile  = 'pUwindstr.bin',           <------- my windstress component files.
>  vstressfile  = 'pVwindstr.bin',
> #
>  &
>
> But the model run gives the following error :
>
> [SVBabu at SVBabu input]$ ./mitgcmuv > 17dec1.txt
> STOP S/R EXF_CHECK: Select 1 wind-stress position: A or C-grid
I guess the message is clear: "Select 1 wind-stress position: A or C-grid" (there is a parameter that you need to set: readStressOnAgrid, readStressOnCgrid,see exf_readparms.F/EXF_PARAM.h for details)

> Do help/suggest...................
>
> to note further , i have commented out
>
> #define ALLOW ATM_WIND             <------- EXF_OPTIONS.h
> to get rid of the error "STOP S/R EXF_CHECK: use u,v_wind stress components but not u,v_wind "
> ( as suggested in mitgcm-support earlier)
>
> One more doubt to add :
>
> I want to give boundary forcings at different boundaries ( using boundary files in "data.obcs")
>  periodcally ( using periodicForcing, externForcingperiod and externForcingcycle in "data").
>
> Can i use these periodically boundary forcing files along with "exf" package. ???????
With exf you (probably) cannot use periodicForcing, externForcingperiod and externForcingcycle in "data"), but you can use data.exf for similar functionality, e.g:
 &EXF_NML_OBCS
 obcsStartDate1 = ????
 obcsStartDate2 = ????
 obcsPeriod = ???
 &
If you still want to use the old parameters in data (I can see why), then you need to change obcs_prescribe_read.F. You could add a flag, useEXFobcs (which is =useEXF by default, but can be set in data.obcs)

M.