[MITgcm-support] interpolate sea ice fields

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Aug 18 11:02:28 EDT 2011

Hi David,

so I misunderstood. I think you can area-average all fields as they are, because they all contain the fractional area (SIarea) except for maybe TICE(S) and the velocities.
I would multiply TICE(S) prior to averaging:
siTICES_new = sum(siTICES_old*siAREA_old*RAC)/sum(RAC*siAREA_old)
with siUICE/VICE it's a little more complicated because of the C-grid, but here you might just be fine with simple area averaing (but not with RAC, but with RAW and RAS).

Martin

On Aug 18, 2011, at 4:51 PM, Daiwei (David) Wang wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for the comment.
>
> Computationally sub-sampling should be OK. But I hope the interpolated fields best approximate the original fields. For example, since one new grid cell comprises 25 old grid cells, for siAREA,
>
> siAREA_new = sum(siAREA_old*RAC)/sum(RAC)
>
> would conserve total sea ice concentration (where RAC is the cell area of the old grid), and presumably be a better choice than sub-sampling. But I'm not sure about other sea ice fields.
>
> Thanks,
> David
>
> On 8/18/11 4:10 AM, Martin Losch wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> the model should be able to deal with subsampled sea-ice fields (i.e. not blow up), if that's the question.
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> On Aug 17, 2011, at 8:01 PM, Daiwei (David) Wang wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I intend to interpolate a set of pickup files to a grid five times (horizontally) coarser than the original grid, and wonder what the most appropriate means of interpolation is for sea ice fields, which are
>>>
>>> $ cat pickup_seaice.0000000001.meta
>>> nDims = [   2 ];
>>> dimList = [
>>>  3060,    1, 3060,