[MITgcm-support] useOBCSYearlyFields

David Wang daiwei at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 14 20:50:53 EDT 2011

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has used yearly obcs files (i.e.,
useOBCSYearlyFields=.TRUE. in data.obcs) successfully. The obcs monitor
statistics (obc_E_uVel_Int, obc_S_vVel_Int) in STDOUT.???? show that the
integrated transports across open boundaries are constant in time, which
is at odds with my daily time-varying obcs data. I have in data.obcs

useOBCSprescribe=.TRUE.,
useOBCSYearlyFields=.TRUE.,
OBSsFile='input/obcs/phys/OBSs_day',
OBStFile='input/obcs/phys/OBSt_day',
OBSvFile='input/obcs/phys/OBSv_day',
OBEsFile='input/obcs/phys/OBEs_day',
OBEtFile='input/obcs/phys/OBEt_day',
OBEuFile='input/obcs/phys/OBEu_day',

and in data.exf

obcsSstartdate1   = 20031231,
obcsSstartdate2   = 120000,
obcsSperiod       = 86400.,
obcsEstartdate1   = 20031231,
obcsEstartdate2   = 120000,
obcsEperiod       = 86400.,

The obcs data files in input/obcs/phys/ take the form of
OB[E|S][s|t|u|v]_day_200[3|4|5]. The transport numbers become
time-varying and appear correct when multi-year, rather than yearly,
obcs data are used and useOBCSYearlyFields=.FALSE. (default). I'm
working with the most recent checkpoint62v.

Thanks,
David