[MITgcm-support] Temperature drift in tutorial ( tutorial_global_oce_latlon: Global Ocean Simulation at 4◦ Resolution).

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Apr 12 02:30:18 EDT 2011

Dear Krishnakumar,

thanks for your suggestions.

The manual usually lags behind the code development, but I agree that the tutorials should be kind of up-to-date. One way of getting this accomplished is that you contribute by updating the tex source (obtain them via: cvs ${youroptions} co manual). You can send you changes (somewhere in s_examples/global_oce_latlon/) to this list, and I'll be happy to check this into the repository. Is diffKhT/S=0 is the only detail requiring and update?

In general you are allowed to have both gmredi turned on and specify a horizontal diffusion. I agree that it does not make much sense, especially since gmredi has it's own minimal horizontal diffusion, but there might be cases when you want to do this for test purposes. The MITgcm is not a black-box that you can use without applying some of your own experience/training (and I have the feeling that you are doing this right now)

You cannot expect to get the same results as Danabasoglu (2004), because the forcing is not the same and the model is different (different code/MOM, different grid, different parameters, etc.). On the contrary, I think that the correspondence between your curve and the ones by Danabasoglu is most striking. So everything seems to be in order from my point of view.

Martin