[MITgcm-support] Temperature drift in tutorial ( tutorial_global_oce_latlon: Global Ocean Simulation at 4◦ Resolution).

Krishnakumar Rajagopalan krishna_raj_2010 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 15:11:53 EDT 2011

Hi All,
I have an update on the temperature drift in tutorial.
In the write up of the Global Ocean Simulation at 4 deg resolution (in the .pdf
manual),

the horizontal diffusion coefficient for salt and theta, diffKh  is set at
1.E3.

But, the tutorial is configured to use the GMREDI package, thus diffKh has to be
zero. Note that the \input\data  of this tutorial
is correct with diffKh=0 in the input file.
I think it would be good if the manual (.pdf document) is  revised. I followed
the manual and did many runs with diffKh=1e3 and GMREDI package, only realizing
the mistake after reading  the writeup on \tutorial_cfc_offline where it is
spelled out that
when GMREDI package is used, diffKh must be zero.

I think when we set diffKh to some value, and also use GMREDI package, the
diffusive flux,
df gets calculated once outside the GMREDI_XTRANSPORT subroutine, before being
incremented
within GMREDI_XTRANSPORT. A configuration check to tell users to ensure diffKh=0
when
using GMREDI scheme would be great.

 The attached figure (a) shows two cases where GMREDI package is used. In case
1, diffkH
for salt and theta is set as 1e3. In case 2 diffKh=0. Thus case 2 is the correct
setting.
The results show that the overshoot of theta is larger in case 1.
Danabasoglu (Ocean Modelling 7 (2004); 323-341; Fig1) showed that the mean theta
increases to about 4.25 degrees when the tracer and momentum time step are
different and stays constant
thereafter. However, in my case (case 2), the mean theta is seen to reduce after
reacing a maximum of about
4.15 deg. Any ideas on why this is happening is most welcome. ( I am yet to run
cases where the
tracer and momentum time steps are equal)

Thanks in advance

Krishnakumar