[MITgcm-support] Tidal forcing of MITgcm

Alastair McKinstry alastair.mckinstry at ichec.ie
Tue Sep 28 16:06:36 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'm working on the ocean circulation of exoplanets, specifically ocean
planets.
In particular I want to investigate the tidally-driven circulation of
ocean planets and would like
to use MITgcm to do so, following the aquaplanet work of Marshall et al.
For close-in exoplanets (eg super-Earths around M-stars) the planet
would be tidally locked (or in
synchronous rotation) and  tidal forces would be significant.

I can find no references to tidal forcing of the MITgcm model : has work
on this been done before,
and where would you recommend the tidal potential be applied (for a
simple external tidal potential,
ignoring self-loading for the moment) : using the external forcing
package"exf" ?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Alastair