[MITgcm-support] Compile problems w/ GMRedi parameterization

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu May 20 02:44:54 EDT 2010

Hi David,

I am returning this to the support list, as this may be interesting to others (and also warrants for a small change in the code, maybe).

So, as I guessed earlier, your packages.conf did not contain the correct list of packages. Your packages just had "gmredi", and so only the gmredi package was included in the compilation. There appears to be a minimal set of required packages without which the code does not link. They are grouped in a "macro" gfd: mom_common mom_fluxform mom_vecinv generic_advdiff debug mdsio rw monitor

If you do not specify any packages.conf you'll get what's listed in "gfd", but no "gmredi", so your packages.conf should have these two lines:

gfd
gmredi

the macro "oceanic" contains gfd, gmredi and kpp, so you could use that also. You'll find these things in pkg/pkg_*

I think that it should not be possible to specify a packages.conf that leads to code that cannot be linked. So maybe we can do something about that (change pkg_defaults? or genmake2 to stop if this minimal set is not avaiable), but you should be fine for most cases with a packages.conf that  contains the line
oceanic
or above

Martin