[MITgcm-support] Relative Humidity

ankur gupta ang014 at ucsd.edu
Thu Mar 18 17:40:31 EDT 2010

Hello,

I am running MITgcm using Large&Yeager bulk formulations in exf package. For
this I am using the data (corrected normal year forcing) supported by Common
Ocean-ice Reference Experiments (CORE) on GFDL website. The relative
humidity data has been corrected to preserve the global heat fluxes and thus
reduced to ~3% in tropics and ~14% (of ZONAL average) elsewhere. This
resulted in some negative values of relative humidity.

1/10 of the total grid points (360*160) have such negative relative
humidity. I am thinking of providing such cells (of negative relative
humidity) the average values of those surrounding cells which have positive
relative humidity. However this, being part of forcing field, doesn't sound
like the best idea. Can someone suggest an alternative or have encountered
negative relative humidity?

Ankur
Graduate Student
Scripps Institution of Oceanography