[MITgcm-support] vertical diffusion and mixing for unstable atmosphere

Yuan Lian lian at ashimaresearch.com
Fri Jun 25 21:12:28 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am recently working on an atmospheric model showing some
statically unstable regions in the simulation. Is there anyway to reduce
the instability in MITgcm besides a convective adjustment scheme?
I use a simple dry adiabatic adjustment scheme for now but it causes
excessive cooling near the top of the domain (adjusted from bottom up).

I saw MITgcm has vertical mixing and diffusion built in (KPP package
more specifically). Does the schemes used in KPP also work for
atmosphere? If it does, is it designed for Earth atmosphere only or it is
generic?

Thanks much for your help!

Best,
Yuan