[MITgcm-support] 'repeatPeriod' in data.exf

Suneet Dwivedi suneetdwivedi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 09:22:14 EDT 2010

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply. Your suggestion is helpful. However, if i follow what
you suggested for 60 years of simulation, for example, then for 8 air/sea
forcing fields i will have to create 480 (60*8) yearly forcing files, which
is possible, but cumbersome. An alternative that I could think of may be to
run the model for somewhat shorter duration and restart from there...., for
example, running the model for 15 years at a time and restart from there
again for 15 years and so on.....Thus rather than splitting forcing fields
into years, one may split time window.

I guess in this case, i should set repeatPeriod = 0 in data.exf, if i am
using continuous in time daily forcing fields for 15 years. But I am not
sure how to set namelist parameters in input/data while restarting from
pickup files. What i could gather from looking at verification directory
examples and mitgcm manual is that it is possible to restart the model from
pickup files by setting nIter0 equal to number as suffix in pickup file, but
i am not sure how to set data.cal in this case. Probably, I should not
include data.cal in my input directory when I am restarting. Is this right?
Any suggestions....

Thanks again,
Suneet