[MITgcm-support] 'repeatPeriod' in data.exf

Suneet Dwivedi suneetdwivedi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 19:38:45 EDT 2010

Hi Everybody,

Could anyone of you please tell me what is the exact meaning of parameter
'repeatPeriod' in exf package/data.exf?

I wish to perform a long run of 50-55 years with daily air/sea forcing
values over Indian Ocean. Matlab is unable to store and process such a long
matrix of dimension [250 150 20000] ~ O(1e+10) with 64 bit precision. An
alternative way to do this may be to use climatological daily forcing values
(averaged over all available years) of dimension [250 150 366] and use
the climatological values for each year of simulation. In this case,
i need to know the variable that does this in MITgcm. I
wonder 'repeatPeriod' does this. Am I right? For example, if i set
'repeatPeriod' to something like 31622400.0 (for 1 year), will I be able to
use same values of forcing on same days of each year after completing one
year of simulation? Please suggest.

Thanks,
Suneet