[MITgcm-support] RBCS package

aslavin at mun.ca aslavin at mun.ca
Fri Jul 16 14:43:04 EDT 2010

Dear colleagues,

   I have a problem with RBCS package. I want to implement Temperature source
into my rotating tank. RBCS package seems to be good decision for this. There
was no problems with implementing it, the problem is it is not working - no
change in the results. It read my RBCS files well, but nothing happens. Maybe
someone have experience with this package? Thank you in advance.

My step by step RBCS package implementation:

Packages.conf

#  $Header: /u/gcmpack/MITgcm/verification/rotating_tank/code/packages.conf,v
1.3 2006/09/03 23:29:19 jmc Exp $
#  $Name: checkpoint62g $

gfd
diagnostics
mnc
mdsio
rbcs

data.pkg

# Packages
 &PACKAGES
 useMNC=.FALSE.,
 useRBCS=.TRUE.,
 &

data.rbcs

# RBCS package parameters:
 &RBCS_PARM01
    tauRelaxT=1.,
#   tauRelaxS=864000.,
    relaxMaskFile(1)='Mask_T.bin',
#   relaxMaskFile(2)='rbcs_mask_S.bin',
#   relaxMaskFile(3)='rbcs_mask.bin',
    relaxTFile='sponge_temp.bin',
#   relaxSFile='rbcs_Tr1_fld.bin',
    useRBCtemp=.TRUE.,
#   useRBCsalt=.FALSE.,
#   rbcsIniter=0,
    rbcsForcingPeriod=0.,
    rbcsForcingCycle=0.,
 &

Mask_T.bin composed in matlab:

Mask = zeros(120, 50, 12);
for k = 1:12
    for i = 1:120
         for j = 1:50
         if (i < 62) && (i > 59)
                if k<13
                Mask(i,j,k)=1;
                else Mask(i,j,k)=0;
         end;
              else Mask(i,j,k)=0;
              end;
         end
    end
end
writebin('Mask_T.bin', Mask, 1, 'real*4');

sponge_temp.bin composed in matlab:

ST = zeros(120, 50, 12);
for k = 1:12
    for i = 1:120
         for j = 1:50

         if (i < 62) && (i > 59)
                if k<13
                ST(i,j,k)=30;
                else ST(i,j,k)=20;
         end;
              else ST(i,j,k)=20;
              end;
         end
    end
end
writebin('sponge_temp.bin', ST, 1, 'real*4');