[MITgcm-support] maintaining sea ice coverage over multi-year run on cs32

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Jul 16 08:05:43 EDT 2010

Hi Andrew,

we are using the cs32 configuration with seaice (and no thsice) with the forcing as provided with the verifcation experiment and also with an embm (similar to Fanning+Weaver 1996 or the UVic ESM, not public yet) and I do not see the sea ice disappearing. We have a different problem though: the overturning keeps dying pretty quickly (order 50years), which seems to be connected to a too large extend of the sea ice in the northern hemisphere in the case with embm. with the CORE forcing, we still do not quite know.

I do not recommend Ian's code (as Matt suggested), but that's only because I do not understand what's going on in there. Having said that the default thermodynamics code is not bug free either (I need to check in a contribution of ice sublimation to the mass balance).

Martin