[MITgcm-support] mnc missing values

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Jan 22 02:56:04 EST 2010

David,

Constantinos is right, mnc can only write files per tile. However, there is a nifty script by Baylor utils/scripts/gluemnc und /utils/scripts/xplbode, which glue your "per-tile" nc-files into a single one (only for simple cartesian or lat-lon grids, though).

About the missing value: I started to implement that, but there are so many things to look out for that for now it's only implemented for scalar fields such as THETA, SALT, ETAN, etc. All vector components have "0" over land (for u,v,w, that's even useful, because the first land point is actually the correct boundary condition of no-flow across the boundary).

It only implemented for the diagnostics package, to turn it on
#define DIAGNOSTICS_MISSING_VALUE
in DIAG_OPTIONS.h and then you set missing_value, missing_value_int separately for float and integers (I think they default to 1e+15). You can (or have to) set different values for different lists, but I cannot remember, if that works, you'll have to try it out. I usually live the default value (although it's far from optimal). You can find the relevant code-bits in diagnostics_out.F

Martin