[MITgcm-support] Understanding the shortwave radiation

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Jan 12 06:26:51 EST 2010

Marcello,

1. the shortwave heat can penetrate into the ocean while the remaining
part of the heatflux cannot and is only applied to the surface
(layer). That's why you have extra addtion to gT in external_forcing_t
(and not only to the surface layer).
2. qnet is really qnet. If shortwave_heating is undefined all of this
qnet is added to the surface layer (surface flux), if qsw is defined
only (qnet-qsw) is added to the surface layer (see surfaceForcingT in
external_forcing_surf.F, I think that that is what slipped through
your careful scrutiny.)

Martin