[MITgcm-support] ECCO in steady-state?

gael forget gforget at mit.edu
Tue Feb 23 19:44:51 EST 2010

Hi stephanie,

sorry for the delay in my response. In brief, neither the real ocean
nor the
OCCA model/data synthesis is in true steady state anywhere at any time.
At most they may be NEAR a steady state for some aspects and over
some period.

As explained in Forget 2010 (see link that Chris mentioned) OCCA is an
ocean state estimate for the period from 2004 to 2006. The real ocean
must have
changed in some aspects over this period. The Eighteen Degree Water
volume however
(as discussed in Maze et al 2009, and Forget et al 2010 that you will
find @
http://paoc.mit.edu/paoc/papers/edw_vol%20(4).pdf) seems to
oscillate, over the
course of seasons, around a rather stable point over 2004-2006.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Gael