[MITgcm-support] Bulk Force and SSS restoring

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Feb 17 10:15:49 EST 2010

Hi Amato,

in data.cal you can specify the 'model calendar' (see global_with_exf for an example), so that should not stop you from use exf instead of bulk_force. Although my experience with bulk_force is very limited, the exf does have quite a few options, and I think it should do what you need.

Did you have a look at global_ocean.cs32x15/input.thsice/ for an example use of bulk_force?

Martin
On Feb 17, 2010, at 3:58 PM, Amato Evan wrote:

> Hi Stefano!
>
> I was hoping to use the model calendar (just b/c it's more straightforward) and as far as I can tell, if one uses EXF then calendar has to be set to "Gregorian". Is this right?
>
> I should say that another reason for only restoring to SSS is that this is how I have spun up the model, so I'd like to stay consistent on this front as well.
>
> Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it!
>
> Sincerely,
> Amato
>
> On Feb 17, 2010, at 4:37 AM, Stefano Querin wrote:
>
>> Hi Amato,
>>
>> just a few ideas...
>>
>> Have you ever tried to use the EXF package for your simulations? It
>> should be more complete and flexible than the BULK_FORCE package. You
>> can also restore SSS to prescribed values with it.
>>
>> I don't think that the computation of freshwater fluxes using runoff
>> and precipitation input files makes the model run that slow... (but
>> I'm just relying on my experience, I never made any test regarding
>> this). On the contrary, if you meant that the creation and handling
>> (offline) of runoff and precip files is somehow cumbersome and slow,
>> then SSS restoring should be a more desirable choice.
>>
>> Anyway, the EXF package has many available options.
>>
>> Hope this helps...
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> S.
>>

>> On 16 Feb 2010, at 19:50:23, Amato Evan wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>>
>>> I am trying to estimate the effect of surface forcing by volcanic-
>>> aerosols on tropical SST. To do this I have a 1x1 degree model setup
>>> w/23 vertical levels. After spining up the model for 130 years using
>>> NCEP and WOA data (and SSS restoring), I would like to "turn-on" the
>>> BULK_FORCE package in order to change downward lw & sw fluxes in
>>> accordance with volcanic aerosol surface forcing (something I
>>> calculate offline w/satellite obs. and an RT model).
>>>
>>> I am giving the BULK_FORCE pkg wind stress values (calcWindStress
>>> = .FALSE.), but I would like to run w/surface salinity restoring,
>>> and not have the model calculate freshwater fluxes using runoff and
>>> precip input files. My motivation is just to make the model runs
>>> complete more quickly. What I can't determine from the documentation
>>> and source code is if I leave:
>>>
>>> RainFile= ' ',
>>> RunoffFile= ' ',