[MITgcm-support] negative salt values

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Feb 12 02:32:15 EST 2010

Hi Alan,

when you add a lot of fresh water without the proper boundary conditions, you are bound to get negative salinities. I believe, that these are the important parameters, that turn on the "true" fresh water flux boundary conditions together with the non-linear free surface and the z* coordinates:

>  implicitFreeSurface=.TRUE.,
>  exactConserv=.TRUE.,
>  select_rStar=2,
>  nonlinFreeSurf=4,
>  hFacInf=0.2,
>  hFacSup=2.0,
>  useRealFreshWaterFlux=.TRUE.,

Are these your parameters?

In the case of large horizontal gradients, there's always the possiblity of over/undershoots due to insufficient advection schemes. For your experiment you should use something with flux limiter, e.g. 33 or 77 (even then, you might get very, very small undershoots, according to my experience, in theory this should not happen).

Martin