[MITgcm-support] negative salt values

Alan Condron acondron at sfos.uaf.edu
Thu Feb 11 20:22:02 EST 2010

Hi all

I have been doing some experiments simulating large glacial flood
events. To simulate such events I'm adding 5 Sv of water as RUNOFF, into
5 model grid boxes in hudson bay .

When I attempt to do this in the global_ocean.cs30x15 setup, I find that
I can create negative salinity values where I add the flood, and also
away from this region as the flood event advects in the model. I also
get negative values in a tracer I tag the flood waters with.

I was surprised I could get negative salinity values. And I wonder if
its simply the case of setting a flag in the set-up to avoid this?

Thanks
Alan

Dr Alan Condron
112 O'Neill