[MITgcm-support] Momentum Budget

Emily Shroyer eshroyer at whoi.edu
Thu Dec 9 13:02:55 EST 2010

Thanks Matt,
For some reason things still are not adding up quite right. The balance
is almost perfect, until I turn on wind forcing then the sum of terms
differs significantly from the total tendency.  I attached a figure of
the zonal balance at one grid cell as a function of time. Winds turn on
around day 12, the black line and the red dashed line would line up if I
was including everything correctly. This is one reason I thought that
the vertical viscosity term might be missing, i.e., maybe I am not
accounting for the flux of momentum from the surface properly. The other
is that if I evaluate this term (nu*d^2u/dz^2) on my own, the difference
is roughly correct. I tried manipulating the VISrE_Um and VISrI_Um terms
but I am not sure exactly how these are scaled, the units appear to be
in m^4/s^2, so surface area alone is not going to work. I will likely
just return to estimating a momentum budget from the normal output
fields, a little messy and it won't balance perfectly, but at least I
know what it does. Thanks again, Emily