[MITgcm-support] paleo runs and model drift

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Apr 6 10:31:44 EDT 2010

Hi Andrew,
there's an (undocumented) flag ALLOW_BALANCE_FLUXES. If that defined in CPP_OPTIONS.h you can use balanceEmPmR = .true., in data (PARM01) to balance the fresh water flux at each time step (to give you zero salinity and SSH drift), and balanceQnet = .true., to balance the heat flux. Neither of these flags are very physical, but they do the job. I introduced them out of despair, but I found out later that especially for fresh water, this technique is not too uncommon with OGCMs on long time scales (see e.g. Griffies et al, 2009, Ocean Modelling, Appendix B3).

Martin