[MITgcm-support] tracers

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 23 04:06:44 EDT 2009

Alan, I tried to send this yesterday from hotel but internet crashed.
My answer is superseded by Martin's much more useful one.  Here it is
nevertheless:

I think that the best you can do is to add a passive tracer with
concentration proportional to relative volume of runoff entering a
particular surface grid box at a particular time step.  As soon as the
runoff enters a model grid box, it mixes completely with the water in
that grid box (since a grid box is the smallest volume of water that
the model knows of) so adding a passive tracer with the correct
concentration in that grid box would be equivalent to what you
describe in your message.

Dimitris