[MITgcm-support] tracers

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Sep 23 03:28:55 EDT 2009

Hi Alan,

I am not sure if I understand exactly, what you want to do exactly,
but (if you are using pkg/exf) there is a field called runoff (units
are m/s). All you need to do is add this to a ptracer-field, the best
place would be S/R PTRACERS_FORCING_SURF:
surfaceForcingPTr(i,j,bi,bj,iYourTracer) =
runoff(i,j,bi,bj)*_ra(i,j,bi,bj) * drF(ks)*_hFacC(i,j,ks,bi,bj)
(ks=1 in z-coordinates); because this is an absolute volume add it at
the end of the routine (to avoid the dilution of volume). Then you'd
have a volume of freshwater from runoff in m^3 in the ptracer
iYourTracer (the cell thickness is taken out again when
surfaceForcingPTr is applied in ptracers_forcing). The disadvantage is
that you can accumulate more fresh water from runoff in a grid cell
than the cell can hold which is kind of unsatifactory. Alternatively
you could add a tracer of some concentration (e.g. 1units/m^3) to the
run-off, but that appears to me more complicated: In this case I would
add the tracer at the beginning of the routine as
surfaceForcingPTr(i,j,bi,bj,iTrc) = runoff(i,j,bi,bj) * 1 (units/m^3)
Because this is a now a concentration, it should be diluted by
additional EmP (but not mR), so that you'd have to remove the runoff
from the EmPmR and PmEpR in the following lines of code.

Martin