[MITgcm-support] Shortwave radiation

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Sep 11 04:06:19 EDT 2009

Hi Georges,

it looks like you are using the exf pkg with the bulk-formulae enabled:
in EXF_OPTIONS.h there is a flag ALLOW_BULKFORMULAE. If that's turned
on the heat fluxes are computed from air-temperature, humidity, wind
etc. and shortwave radiation is prescribed.
If you don't prescribe air-temperatures, then the model uses atemp=0
(in Kelvin!), so you get latent and sensible heat fluxes based on a
temperature difference on the order of 280K (you could call this a
bug, because there is no warning for this). Just for fun, you could
diagnose these fluxes (I think they are called EXFhs, EXFhl in the
diagnostics package), these fluxes should be enormous.

If you want to use only sw-radiation and set the remaining heat flux
to zero, then you should set all corresponding flags in EXF_OPTIONS.h
to undefined (there is a table in pkg/exf/EXF_OPTIONS.h, that gives an
overview of what happens when ...) and recompile.

Martin