[MITgcm-support] hfac question

David Hebert david.hebert.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Tue Oct 6 11:56:58 EDT 2009

Hi Matt,

The point I mentioned is a W boundary point (should  have noted that
before, sorry). All surrounding points  are  also 100m. I do note that
the Eastern boundary is 90m. So if hFacW will obtain depth on Eastern
bounary is there something different I should do on the West? i.e.,
seems I should use hFacW(2,:)?

Thanks

David

On 10/06/09 10:49, Matthew Mazloff wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> This is correct.  You must have sloping topography and the depth at
> the west side of the cell is 90m, while its 100m in the center.  U is
> calculated on the west face, so the total volume transport is
> sum(U(1,:).*drF .* hfacW(1,:)).
>
> Likewise one should use hFacS for V transport.
>
> -Matt
>

> On Oct 6, 2009, at 8:38 AM, David Hebert wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am attempting to balance barotropic inflow/outflow on the
>> boundaries of a 2D simulation. I ran the model one timestep to obtain
>> the hFac's in order to more accurately determine the depth the model
>> uses. The result from Depth.data at one point is 100m.
>>
>> In order to balance U, according to manual, I would use hFacW. I get
>> a very different result if I do sum(drF * hFacW). Results from matlab
>> (for 2D hFac's)...
>>
>> sum(drF .* hfacW(1,:)) = 90
>> sum(drF .* hfacC(1,:)) = 100
>>
>> Seems I don't quite understand hfacW. Any ideas on what I did wrong
>> here?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> David

David A. Hebert