[MITgcm-support] KPP parameter

Nicolas Grisouard nicolas.grisouard at legi.grenoble-inp.fr
Wed Nov 18 16:22:45 EST 2009

Hi everyone,

I am moving from lab-scale simulations (10x1 m^2) to ocean-scale ones
(400x4 km^2), still using non-hydrostatic simulations and I am
starting my long journey in the world of sub-grid scale
parametrizations. I have a first question about the KPP scheme.
According to the manual (Table 6.5), a parameter to set is the Brunt-
Vaisala frequency squared. The default value is negative, does that
correspond to a convective situation or is it just a matter of
convention? I have a strongly inhomogeneous Brunt-Vaisala profile
(presence of a thermocline), any idea about what to set?

This is all... for the moment. ;)

Thanks,
Nicolas

--