[MITgcm-support] runoff temperature?

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Fri Nov 13 14:27:21 EST 2009

Hi Alan,

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 08:56:42AM -0900, Alan Condron wrote:
> Hi Jean-Michel
>
> I'm curious if there is a place in MITgcm to set the temperature of RUNOFF?

The answer is yes and no:
When I run coupled with Atmos., I have the temperature of the run-off
which is computed separatly and then added to the heat-flux,
the same thing for the rain, and then I specify
temp_EvPrRn=0.,
not to get it counted 2 times.
But there is no "specific" additional heat flux array (because
I don't think it's really needed, it might just be more convenient
to have one).

If you run with prescribed heat flux, could be added to your
forcing. And if you run with bulk, could also be added in one of
the fixed component of the heat flux (e.g., LW downward ?).

> How is the temperature of this water currently assigned?

The default is temp_EvPrRn=UNSET, which means that rain and RunOff
(and Evap) arrived in (leave) the ocean at the same temperature as the SST.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel
PS: I am cc this to the support list.